Download the free SacGreenTeam mobile app.
Sign up for collection day reminders, schedule a bulky waste pickup, report missed service, and use the “How do I get rid of ..?" look up tool to search a database of hundreds of household items for proper disposal. Click on either icon to download the app now!
Composting, Gardening, and Landscaping
- Use our Backyard Composting Guide to learn how to compost using a backyard bin, the pile method, or worms.
- Watch a video on how to build a compost tumbler, a three bay compost bin, or a bin from used pallets.
- Learn about GrassCycling.
- Use our River Friendly Landscaping Guide to learn how to use native, drought-tolerant plants.
- Get Growing! with Farmer Fred. Lifetime Master Gardener Fred Hoffman is the host of the new, "Garden Basics with Farmer Fred" podcast.
- Tune in to 1530-AM/93.1-FM KFBK 's "KFBK Garden Show" each Sunday morning from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., followed by "Get Growing" on Talk 650 KSTE from 10 a.m. to Noon. At noon, it's the KSTE Farm Hour. Listen to all the shows, live, via the KFBK.com and KSTE.com websites.
- Western Placer Waste Management Authority Recycling Buy-Back Center and Compost Sales
- Get FREE Wood Chips from SMUD are provided to residential customers to spread as mulch around trees and shrubs, making soil more fertile, and helping trees to keep growing during the summer heat. Not available for commercial use.
Plastic Bag Recycling
Household Hazardous Waste
- Find drop off locations for plastic bags. Though not accepted in the County's curbside recycling program, many grocery stores and box stores accept them for recycling. Used plastic bags are made into fibers for clothing, plastic lumber, and even car parts!
Trash Free Lunch, oh my!
Composting with worms!
- Build a worm box at home with the help of an adult. Feed the worms your fruit and vegetable scraps, and use the compost they make for your garden!
Hi! I'm Recycle Rex. My message is simple: "Recycle, reduce, reuse, and close the loop." Recycling is one of the easiest and best things we can do for Planet Earth. By recycling and then buying recycled products for home, school and play, we can really make a difference.
Safe House, Safe Me!
Download this coloring book to learn about hazardous products in your house. Also in Spanish--Casa Segura, Estoy Seguro!.
Here are some links to other fun sites!
- Games, Quizzes, and More: Fun things for kids to learn about the environment, including garbage and recycling. (U.S. EPA)
- Recycle City: There's lots to do here--people and places to visit and plenty of ways to explore how the city's residents recycle, reduce, and reuse waste. When you leave, you'll know much more about what you can do to help protect the environment. (U.S. EPA)
- Earth 911 for Students: Fun games and crafts that will help you learn how to protect the environment and recycle.
- Environmental Science: A website dedicated to promoting environmental science education and employment.