Got Oil? It's easy to recycle used motor oil, used oil filters, & cooking oil. Just set them curbside on garbage day and we'll pick them up!
Please follow these easy set out reminders:
This curbside service is provided at no additional charge as part of your regular weekly collection service.
- Use separate containers for used motor oil and cooking oil.
- Do not mix motor oil and cooking oil together.
- Do not mix motor oil with other fluids, such as antifreeze or brake fluid.
- Place used oil in rigid or semi-rigid plastic containers with secure lids (screw-top are best; tape closed) that are:
- Clear/translucent one-gallon containers, such as milk/juice/water jugs, or reuse the original oil containers.
- Place used motor oil, filters, and cooking oil at the curbside by 6:00 a.m., at least 3 feet away from carts and stationary objects, on the same day as organics and garbage collection.*
- Max is a total of three gallons per collection.
- For oil filters:
- Drain the filter of any oil.
- Put filters in a plastic zip-top bag.
- Place bag on the ground next to the used motor oil containers.
(*For residents south of Calvine Road, used oil and filters are picked up on Recycling collection day)
Residents can also drop off these items at no additional cost at a local Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Center.
Reasons to Recycle
Recycling used motor oil and filters reduces our dependence on oil, saves valuable resources, and protects the health of our families. Furthermore, it is illegal to dispose of used motor oil in sewers, drainage systems, surface waters, ground waters, water courses, marine waters, onto the land, in the trash or by domestic incineration.
Did you know?
- Used oil contains contaminants such as lead, magnesium, copper, zinc, chromium, arsenic, cadmium, and chlorinated compounds.
- Used motor oil represents more than 40 percent of the oil pollution in our country's waterways.
- One gallon of used motor oil can pollute one million gallons of drinking water.
- Used oil is easy to recycle. It can be re-refined into motor or biodiesel oil.
- Even after draining, used oil filters contain about 10 ounces of used oil, as well as one pound of reusable steel.