Frequently Asked Questions

  • “Clean metal, glass, or plastics" are empty and free of liquids or food residue.  “Clean paper" is free of food or grease. 
  • Paper items such as pizza boxes and food to-go containers are recyclable when they are new or unused, but once they have leftover food, grease, oil, or liquids on them, they are contaminated and become garbage.  
  • Make sure metal, glass, or plastics are empty, clean, and dry before being placed in the recycling cart.  Contaminated items should be placed in the garbage cart.
  • Place recyclables loose in the recycling cart.​
  • Bagged items go to the landfill.
  • Place green waste loose in the green waste cart.​  
  • Bagged items go to the landfill.
  • No. Garden hoses should be placed in the garbage cart.
  • “Tanglers" such as hoses, ropes, cords, wires, and chains can get tangled in machinery and force a shutdown, requiring workers to climb into dangerous equipment to remove the material.
  • No. The only items to be placed in your green waste cart are leaves, grass clippings, weeds, and pruning's less than 4" in diameter and cut to fit inside the container. 
  • In our current program, these items are considered contaminants in the green waste carts since the receiving facilities are not contracted, permitted, or equipped to receive and handle this material​.
  • All food waste should be placed in your garbage cart.
  • Sacramento County residents can take these items for no fee to the County's North Area Recovery Station HHW Facility.  Other options include the City of Elk Grove's Special Waste Collection Center and the Sacramento Recycling and Transfer Station HHW Facility. 
  • These material require special handling to protect human health and the environment.
  • Residents and businesses can visit our hazardous waste website page​ for more information including hours and locations.
​​​Collection Calendar
Never Miss Your Curbside Collection Again. DownLoad the App image. 

Never miss your curbside collection day!​  The app is available to download in the app stores for both Apple and Android devices.​​

Apple App Store Image  Google Play